[kuh n-ten-shuh n]
- a struggling together in opposition; strife.
- a striving in rivalry; competition; contest.
- strife in debate; dispute; controversy.
- a point contended for or affirmed in controversy.
Origin of contention
SynonymsSee more synonyms for contention on Thesaurus.com
1. conflict, combat. 3. disagreement, dissension, debate, altercation.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a struggling between opponents; competition
- dispute in an argument (esp in the phrase bone of contention)
- a point asserted in argument
C14: from Latin contentiō exertion, from contendere to contend
Word Origin and History for non-contention
late 14c., "strife," from Old French contention, from Latin contentionem (nominative contentio), from content-, past participle stem of contendere (see contend).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Idioms and Phrases with non-contention
see bone of contention.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.