- a determining agent or factor.
- Mathematics. an algebraic expression of the sum of products of elements, each with an appropriate algebraic sign, usually written in a square array and used in the solution of systems of linear equations.
- Also called antigenic determinant, epitope. Immunology. any site on an antigen molecule at which an antibody can bind, the chemical structure of the site determining the specific combining antibody.
- Genetics Archaic. a gene.
Origin of determinant
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- serving to determine or affect
- a factor, circumstance, etc, that influences or determines
- maths a square array of elements that represents the sum of certain products of these elements, used to solve simultaneous equations, in vector studies, etcCompare matrix (def. 9)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
c.1600 (adj.); 1680s (n.), from Latin determinantem (nominative determinans), present participle of determinare (see determine).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- An influencing or determining element or factor.
- Antigenic determinant.
- Tending or serving to determine.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.