- avoiding waste or extravagance; thrifty: an economical meal; an economical use of interior space.
Origin of economical
Synonyms for economical
1. saving, provident, sparing, parsimonious. Economical, thrifty, frugal imply careful and saving use of resources. Economical implies prudent planning in the disposition of resources so as to avoid unnecessary waste or expense: economical in budgeting household expenditures. Thrifty is a stronger word than economical, and adds to it the idea of industry and successful management: a thrifty shopper looking for bargains. Frugal emphasizes being saving, sometimes excessively saving, especially in such matters as food or dress: frugal almost to the point of being stingy.
Antonyms for economical
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- using the minimum required; not wasteful of time, effort, resources, etcan economical car; an economical style
- frugal; thriftyshe was economical by nature
- a variant of economic (def. 1), economic (def. 2), economic (def. 3), economic (def. 4)
- euphemistic deliberately withholding information (esp in the phrase economical with the truth)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper