[fuh-mil-yuh l, -mil-ee-uh l]
- of, relating to, or characteristic of a family: familial ties.
- appearing in individuals by heredity: a familial disease.
Origin of familial
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of or relating to the family
- occurring in the members of a familya familial disease
Word Origin and History for non-familial
from French familial, from Latin familia (see family). Meaning "hereditary" is from 1900; "family-like" is from 1903.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Occurring or tending to occur among family members, usually by heredity.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.