- of or relating to the public treasury or revenues: fiscal policies.
- of or relating to financial matters in general.
- (in some countries) a prosecuting attorney.
- Philately. a revenue stamp.
Origin of fiscal
Synonyms for fiscal
- of or relating to government finances, esp tax revenues
- of or involving financial matters
- (in some countries) a public prosecutor
- Scot short for procurator fiscal
- a postage or other stamp signifying payment of a tax
Word Origin for fiscal
1560s, "pertaining to public revenue," from Middle French fiscal, from Late Latin fiscalis "of or belonging to the state treasury," from Latin fiscus "treasury," originally "purse, basket made of twigs (in which money was kept)," of unknown origin. The general sense of "financial" (1865, American English) was abstracted from phrases like fiscal calendar, fiscal year. Related: Fiscally.