- marked by agreement in feeling, attitude, or action: a harmonious group.
- forming a pleasingly consistent whole; congruous: harmonious colors.
- pleasant to the ear; tuneful; melodious.
Origin of harmonious
Synonyms for harmonious
Antonyms for harmonious
1, 3. discordant.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (esp of colours or sounds) fitting together well
- having agreement or consensus
- tuneful, consonant, or melodious
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
1540s, in music, from French harmonieux (14c.), from harmonie (see harmony). In nonmusical use from 1630s. Related: Harmoniously; harmoniousness.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper