[ hoh-muh-jee-nee-uhs, -jeen-yuhs, hom-uh- ]
/ ˌhoʊ məˈdʒi ni əs, -ˈdʒin yəs, ˌhɒm ə- /
composed of parts or elements that are all of the same kind; not heterogeneous: a homogeneous population.
of the same kind or nature; essentially alike.
- having a common property throughout: a homogeneous solid figure.
- having all terms of the same degree: a homogeneous equation.
- relating to a function of several variables that becomes multiplied by some power of a constant when each variable is multiplied by that constant: x2y3 is a homogeneous expression of degree 5.
- relating to a differential equation in which a linear combination of derivatives is set equal to zero.
QUIZ TIME: TEST YOUR MEMORY OF THE MAY 2020 WORDS OF THE DAY
Let the aeolian gusts transport you back to these popular Words of the Day from the month of May. How many do you remember?
Question 1 of 10
Which of the following words means “to travel or journey, especially to walk on foot”?
Origin of homogeneous
OTHER WORDS FROM homogeneous
ho·mo·ge·ne·ous·ly, adverbnon·ho·mo·ge·ne·ous, adjectivenon·ho·mo·ge·ne·ous·ly, adverbnon·ho·mo·ge·ne·ous·ness, noun
un·ho·mo·ge·ne·ous, adjectiveun·ho·mo·ge·ne·ous·ly, adverbun·ho·mo·ge·ne·ous·ness, noun
Words nearby homogeneous
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2020
British Dictionary definitions for non-homogeneous
/ (ˌhəʊməˈdʒiːnɪəs, ˌhɒm-) /
composed of similar or identical parts or elements
of uniform nature
similar in kind or nature
having a constant property, such as density, throughout
- (of a polynomial) containing terms of the same degree with respect to all the variables, as in x ² + 2 xy + y ²
- (of a function) containing a set of variables such that when each is multiplied by a constant, this constant can be eliminated without altering the value of the function, as in cos x / y + x / y
- (of an equation) containing a homogeneous function made equal to 0
chem of, composed of, or concerned with a single phaseCompare heterogeneous
Also (for senses 1–4): homogenous
Derived forms of homogeneoushomogeneity (ˌhəʊməʊdʒɪˈniːɪtɪ, ˌhɒm-), nounhomogeneously, adverbhomogeneousness, noun
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Medical definitions for non-homogeneous
[ hō′mə-jē′nē-əs, -jēn′yəs ]
Of the same or similar nature or kind.
Uniform in structure or composition throughout, as of a chemical mixture.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.