[ in-shoo r-uh ns, -shur- ]
/ ɪnˈʃʊər əns, -ˈʃɜr- /
the act, system, or business of insuring property, life, one's person, etc., against loss or harm arising in specified contingencies, as fire, accident, death, disablement, or the like, in consideration of a payment proportionate to the risk involved.
coverage by contract in which one party agrees to indemnify or reimburse another for loss that occurs under the terms of the contract.
the contract itself, set forth in a written or printed agreement or policy.
the amount for which anything is insured.
an insurance premium.
any means of guaranteeing against loss or harm: Taking vitamin C is viewed as an insurance against catching colds.
of or relating to a score that increases a team's lead and insures that the lead will be held if the opposing team should score once more: The home run gave the team an insurance run, making the score 7-5.
CAN YOU ACE THIS QUIZ ABOUT “COMPLIMENT” VS. “COMPLEMENT”?
Take this quiz to see if you really know the difference between “compliment” and “complement"!
Question 1 of 11
“Compliment” and “complement” had a shared meaning a long time ago, but today they are no longer interchangeable.
OTHER WORDS FROM insurancenon·in·sur·ance, nounpre·in·sur·ance, nounpro·in·sur·ance, adjective
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH insuranceassurance insurance
Words nearby insurance
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2020
British Dictionary definitions for non-insurance
/ (ɪnˈʃʊərəns, -ˈʃɔː-) /
- the act, system, or business of providing financial protection for property, life, health, etc, against specified contingencies, such as death, loss, or damage, and involving payment of regular premiums in return for a policy guaranteeing such protection
- the state of having such protection
- Also called: insurance policy the policy providing such protection
- the pecuniary amount of such protection
- the premium payable in return for such protection
- (as modifier)insurance agent; insurance broker; insurance company
a means of protecting or safeguarding against risk or injury
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012