- serving to nourish; providing nutriment; nutritious.
- of, relating to, or concerned with nutrition: foods with high nutritive value.
- an item of nourishing food: a breakfast of cereals, fruits, and other nutritives.
Origin of nutritive
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- providing nourishment
- of, concerning, or promoting nutrition
- a nutritious food
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for non-nutritive
late 14c., from Old French nutritif and directly from Medieval Latin nutritivus "nourishing," from past participle stem of Latin nutrire "to nourish" (see nourish).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Of or relating to nutrition.
- Nutritious; nourishing.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.