[per-sis-tuh ns, -zis-]
Origin of persistence
SynonymsSee more synonyms for persistence on Thesaurus.com
1. See perseverance.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the quality of persisting; tenacity
- the act of persisting; continued effort or existence
- the continuance of an effect after the cause of it has stoppedpersistence of vision
Word Origin and History for non-persistence
1540s, from Middle French persistance, from persistant "lasting, enduring, permanent," from Latin persistentem (nominative persistens), present participle of persistere (see persist). Often spelled persistance 16c. Related: Persistency.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Continuance of an effect after the cause is removed.
- Continuance of a part or organ, rather than having it disappear in an early stage of development.