- noting person: In Latin portō “I carry,” -ō is a personal ending.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of the personal pronoun, as English I, we, you, he, she, it, and they.
- a short news paragraph in a newspaper concerning a particular person, as one who is socially prominent, or a group of particular persons who are socially prominent.
- a brief, private notice in a newspaper or magazine, often addressed to a particular person, and typically bearing an abbreviated salutation and signature to preserve its confidentiality, usually printed in a special part of the classified advertising section.
- Also called personal ad . a similar notice, as in a newspaper or on a website, placed by a person seeking companionship, a spouse, etc.
- Usually personals. a column, page, or section, as of a newspaper, magazine, or website, featuring such notices or items.
Origin of personal
OTHER WORDS FROM personal
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH personalpersonal , personnel
How to use personal in a sentence
There was a lot of positive feedback from people interested in non-gender binary people.Grindr’s Trans Dating Problem|David Levesley|January 9, 2015|DAILY BEAST
The email appears to have been a relatively common attempt to gain personal information from a wide range of unwitting victims.Was Sony Hit With a Second Hack?|Shane Harris|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
And, as Gow adds wryly from his own personal experience, “To a huge extent they achieved that aim very well.”‘Nazi Cows’ Tried to Kill British Farmer|Tom Sykes|January 6, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Michael Steinbrick, a personal trainer with New York Sports Clubs, says he can always spot a newbie.How to Survive the New Year ‘Gympocalypse’|Tim Teeman|January 6, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Marrying another Jew was not just a personal simcha (joy), but one for the community.My Week on Jewish Tinder|Emily Shire|January 5, 2015|DAILY BEAST
The expatriated ex-rebels became alarmed by the non-receipt of the indemnity instalment and the news from their homes.The Philippine Islands|John Foreman
He also states that the Audiencia is virtually non-existent, and so there is no high court in which justice may be sought.
The feeling for the tiny things probably has in it the warmth of a young personal sympathy.Children's Ways|James Sully
Make a personal appeal to your men and Godley's to make a supreme effort to hold their ground.Gallipoli Diary, Volume I|Ian Hamilton
De moi, je ne say qu'en dire, d'autant que je ne veux affirmer ny le si ny le non en ce dont je n'ay vidence.