- a person who produces.
- Economics. a person who creates economic value, or produces goods and services.
- a person responsible for the financial and administrative aspects of a stage, film, television, or radio production; the person who exercises general supervision of a production and is responsible chiefly for raising money, hiring technicians and artists, etc., required to stage a play, make a motion picture, or the like.Compare director(def 3).
- British Theater. (formerly) a director of theatrical productions; stage director.
- an apparatus for making producer gas.
- Ecology. an organism, as a plant, that is able to produce its own food from inorganic substances.
Origin of producer
Examples from the Web for non-producer
Historical Examples of non-producer
For almost every producer in Victoria there is a non-producer in the capital.Recollections
David Christie Murray
The non-producer will live, whatever becomes of those who toil.Broken Bread
It is true that the bed, the room, and the house is a home of idleness for the non-producer.The Conquest of Bread
The great crime of the ages is the robbing of the producer of the basic necessities of human life by the non-producer.Communism and Christianism
William Montgomery Brown
- a person or thing that produces
- British a person responsible for the artistic direction of a play, including interpretation of the script, preparation of the actors, and overall design
- US and Canadian a person who organizes the stage production of a play, including the finance, management, etc
- the person who takes overall administrative responsibility for a film or television programmeCompare director (def. 4)
- the person who supervises the arrangement, recording, and mixing of a record
- economics a person or business enterprise that generates goods or services for saleCompare consumer (def. 1)
- chem an apparatus or plant for making producer gas
- (often plural) ecology an organism, esp a green plant, that builds up its own tissues from simple inorganic compoundsSee also consumer (def. 3), decomposer
1510s, "one who produces;" agent noun from produce (v.). Of entertainments, from 1891; in political economy, opposed to consumer, from 1784 (Adam Smith).
- A photosynthetic green plant or chemosynthetic bacterium, constituting the first trophic level in a food chain; an autotrophic organism.
- An autotrophic organism that serves as a source of food for other organisms in a food chain. Producers include green plants, which produce food through photosynthesis, and certain bacteria that are capable of converting inorganic substances into food through chemosynthesis. Compare consumer.