- standing out so as to be seen easily; conspicuous; particularly noticeable: Her eyes are her most prominent feature.
- standing out beyond the adjacent surface or line; projecting.
- leading, important, or well-known: a prominent citizen.
Origin of prominent
Synonyms for prominent
Antonyms for prominent
- jutting or projecting outwards
- standing out from its surroundings; noticeable
- widely known; eminent
Word Origin for prominent
mid-15c., "projecting, jutting out," from Latin prominentem (nominative prominens) "prominent," present participle of prominere "jut or stand out, be prominent, overhang," from pro- "before, forward" (see pro-) + minere "to project," from minae "projections, threats" (see menace (n.)). Meaning "conspicuous" is from 1759; that of "notable, leading" is from 1849. Related: Prominently.
- Projecting outward or upward; protuberant.
- Immediately noticeable; conspicuous.