- a law, rule, or other order prescribed by authority, especially to regulate conduct.
- the act of regulating or the state of being regulated.
- Machinery. the percentage difference in some quantity related to the operation of an apparatus or machine, as the voltage output of a transformer or the speed of a motor, between the value of the quantity at no-load operation and its value at full-load operation.
- Electronics. the difference between maximum and minimum voltage drops between the anode and the cathode of a gas tube for a specified range of values of the anode current.
- Sports. the normal, prescribed duration of a game according to the sport's regulations, exclusive of any extra innings, overtime period, etc.: The Knicks tied the score in the final seconds of regulation, sending the game into overtime.
- prescribed by or conforming to regulation: regulation army equipment.
- usual; normal; customary: the regulation decorations for a Halloween party.
Origin of regulation
SynonymsSee more synonyms for regulation on Thesaurus.com
2. direction, management, control, disposition, adjustment.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for non-regulation
Until lately the Punjab was stamped with the badge of inferiority by being called a non-Regulation province.The Political Future of India
The distinction between regulation and non-regulation is being effaced.
The old patriarchal rule of non-regulation provinces has been fading away.
The number of divisions or commissionerships is 6, of which Chota Nagpur ranks as “non-regulation.”
In the non-regulation territory judicial and executive functions are to a large extent combined in the same hands.
- the act or process of regulating
- a rule, principle, or condition that governs procedure or behaviour
- a governmental or ministerial order having the force of law
- embryol the ability of an animal embryo to develop normally after its structure has been altered or damaged in some way
- (modifier) as required by official rules or procedureregulation uniform
- (modifier) normal; usual; conforming to accepted standardsa regulation haircut
- electrical engineering the change in voltage occurring when a load is connected across a power supply, caused by internal resistance (for direct current) or internal impedance (alternating current)
Word Origin and History for non-regulation
1670s, "act of regulating; state of being reduced to order," noun of action from regulate. Meaning "rule for management" is from 1715. Related: Regulations.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The act of regulating or the state of being regulated.
- A principle, rule, or law designed to control or govern conduct.
- A governmental order having the force of law.
- The capacity of an embryo to continue normal development following injury to or alteration of a structure.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Laws through which governments can control privately owned businesses.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.