- a person affected with rheumatism.
Origin of rheumatic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of, relating to, or afflicted with rheumatism
- a person afflicted with rheumatism
Word Origin for rheumatic
C14: ultimately from Greek rheumatikos, from rheuma a flow; see rheum
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
late 14c., from Old French reumatique (Modern French rhumatique), from Latin rheumaticus "troubled with rheum," from Greek rheumatikos, from rheuma "discharge from the body" (see rheum).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Relating to or characterized by rheumatism.
- One who is affected by rheumatism.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.