- serving to assist or supplement; auxiliary; supplementary.
- subordinate or secondary: subsidiary issues.
- of or relating to a subsidiary.
- a subsidiary thing or person.
- subsidiary company.
- Music. a subordinate theme or subject.
Origin of subsidiary
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- serving to aid or supplement; auxiliary
- of lesser importance; subordinate in function
- a person who or thing that is subsidiary
- short for subsidiary company
C16: from Latin subsidiārius supporting, from subsidium subsidy
Word Origin and History for non-subsidiary
1540s, from Middle French subsidiaire, from Latin subsidiarius "serving to assist or supplement," from subsidium "help, aid" (see subsidy).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper