- failure or refusal to conform, as with established customs, attitudes, or ideas.
- lack of conformity or agreement.
- (often initial capital letter) refusal to conform to the Church of England.
- Geology. an unconformity that separates crystalline rocks, either igneous or metamorphic, from sedimentary rocks.
Origin of nonconformity
Related Words for nonconformitystrangeness, violation, dissent, unruliness, disaffection, negation, denial, objection, insubordination, disapproval, originality, uniqueness, heresy, lawlessness, disobedience, veto, disagreement, discordance, opposition, breach
Examples from the Web for nonconformity
Contemporary Examples of nonconformity
This says a lot about views of nonconformity that it's entirely plausible he still holds.Mitt Romney as a Young Bully
May 10, 2012
Historical Examples of nonconformity
The only instance in which there is nonconformity with observation, is that of Venus.Essays: Scientific, Political, & Speculative, Vol. I
Their suspension of the penalties for Nonconformity was denounced.History of the English People, Volume VI (of 8)
John Richard Green
For this act of nonconformity they were severely censured by some of their brethren.Fragments of science, V. 1-2
Her hungry eyes, gazing at Bianca, had in them the aspirations of all Nonconformity.Fraternity
My spirit of nonconformity did not permit me to follow his example.Tracks of a Rolling Stone
Henry J. Coke
- failure or refusal to conform
- absence of agreement or harmony