- not essential; not necessary: Nonessential use of gasoline was forbidden during the war.
- a nonessential thing or person.
Origin of nonessential
Synonyms for nonessentialSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for nonessentialunnecessary, peripheral, petty, inessential, deadwood, dispensable, excessive, expendable, extraneous, insignificant, superfluous, trivial, unimportant
Examples from the Web for nonessential
Contemporary Examples of nonessential
She must decide which employees are “nonessential” and can therefore be furloughed.How ‘Veep’ Nailed the Government Shutdown
October 2, 2013
All nonessential personnel were being evacuated late Tuesday from the U.S. Embassy in Cairo.Despite Obama Administration’s Entreaties, Egyptian Military Deposes Morsi
Eli Lake, Josh Rogin
July 3, 2013
Historical Examples of nonessential
Men who arrive anywhere in any direction always have the habit of ignoring the nonessential more or less strongly developed.
And when he came the following day he apparently had once more restored her father to his proper place of a nonessential.
Error and nonessential dividing lines will disappear if neglected.Church Cooperation in Community Life
Paul L. Vogt
What is essential and what nonessential depends upon the particular end we have in view.Studies in Logical Theory
- not essential; not necessary
- biochem (of an amino acid in a particular organism) able to be synthesized from other substances
- a nonessential person or thing
- Being a substance required for normal functioning but not needed in the diet because the body can synthesize it.