- an explosive agent or substance, as dynamite.
- Phonetics. plosive.
Origin of explosive
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of, involving, or characterized by an explosion or explosions
- capable of exploding or tending to explode
- potentially violent or hazardous; dangerousan explosive situation
- phonetics another word for plosive
- a substance that decomposes rapidly under certain conditions with the production of gases, which expand by the heat of the reaction. The energy released is used in firearms, blasting, and rocket propulsion
- a plosive consonant; stop
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper