- passing, or capable of passing, naturally from parent to offspring through the genes: Blue eyes are hereditary in our family.Compare congenital.
- of or relating to inheritance or heredity: a hereditary title.
- existing by reason of feeling, opinions, or prejudices held by predecessors: a hereditary enemy.
- descending by inheritance.
- transmitted or transmissible in the line of descent by force of law.
- holding title, rights, etc., by inheritance: a hereditary proprietor.
- (of a collection of sets) signifying that each subset of a set in the collection is itself a set in the collection.
- of or relating to a mathematical property, as containing a greatest integer, applicable to every subset of a set that has the property.
Origin of hereditary
Synonyms for hereditary
1, 2. See innate. 3. ancestral, traditional.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019
Examples from the Web for nonhereditary
Historical Examples of nonhereditary
Bannock chieftainship was nonhereditary and was assigned by general agreement to a man noted for wisdom and courage.Shoshone-Bannock Subsistence and Society
Robert F. Murphy
- of, relating to, or denoting factors that can be transmitted genetically from one generation to another
- descending or capable of descending to succeeding generations by inheritance
- transmitted or transmissible according to established rules of descent
- derived from one's ancestors; traditionalhereditary feuds
- maths logic
- (of a set) containing all those elements which have a given relation to any element of the set
- (of a property) transferred by the given relation, so that if x has the property P and xRy, then y also has the property P
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
early 15c., hereditarie, from Latin hereditarius, from hereditas (see heredity).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Transmitted or capable of being transmitted genetically from parent to offspring.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Passed or capable of being passed from parent to offspring by means of genes.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.