- descending by inheritance.
- transmitted or transmissible in the line of descent by force of law.
- holding title, rights, etc., by inheritance: a hereditary proprietor.
- (of a collection of sets) signifying that each subset of a set in the collection is itself a set in the collection.
- of or relating to a mathematical property, as containing a greatest integer, applicable to every subset of a set that has the property.
CAN YOU ACE THIS QUIZ ABOUT “COMPLIMENT” VS. “COMPLEMENT”?
Origin of hereditary
SYNONYMS FOR hereditary
OTHER WORDS FROM hereditary
Words nearby hereditary
Example sentences from the Web for nonhereditary
Bannock chieftainship was nonhereditary and was assigned by general agreement to a man noted for wisdom and courage.Shoshone-Bannock Subsistence and Society|Robert F. Murphy
British Dictionary definitions for nonhereditary
- descending or capable of descending to succeeding generations by inheritance
- transmitted or transmissible according to established rules of descent
- (of a set) containing all those elements which have a given relation to any element of the set
- (of a property) transferred by the given relation, so that if x has the property P and xRy, then y also has the property P
Derived forms of hereditaryhereditarily, adverbhereditariness, noun
Medical definitions for nonhereditary
Scientific definitions for nonhereditary
Cultural definitions for nonhereditary
A descriptive term for conditions capable of being transmitted from parent to offspring through the genes. The term hereditary is applied to diseases such as hemophilia and characteristics such as the tendency toward baldness that pass from parents to children.