- of or relating to a magnet or magnetism.
- having the properties of a magnet.
- capable of being magnetized or attracted by a magnet.
- pertaining to the magnetic field of the earth: the magnetic equator.
- exerting a strong attractive power or charm: a magnetic personality.
- noting or pertaining to various bearings and measurements as indicated by a magnetic compass: magnetic amplitude; magnetic course; magnetic meridian.
Origin of magnetic
Synonyms for magnetic
Examples from the Web for nonmagnetic
Historical Examples of nonmagnetic
Magnets didn't help, because the screws were nonmagnetic for what seemed pretty good reasons.The Trouble with Telstar
The silicate rocks ran only about twenty-five per cent iron—in the form of nonmagnetic compounds.Anchorite
The nonmagnetic stony asteroids are an absolute necessity for the Belt Cities.Thin Edge
Gordon Randall Garrett
- of, producing, or operated by means of magnetism
- of or concerned with a magnet
- of or concerned with the magnetism of the earththe magnetic equator
- capable of being magnetized
- exerting a powerful attractiona magnetic personality
1610s, literal; 1630s, figurative, from Modern Latin magneticus, from Latin magnes (see magnet).
- Producing, caused by, or making use of magnetic fields.