- of or relating to the body: physical exercise.
- of or relating to that which is material: the physical universe; the physical sciences.
- noting or pertaining to the properties of matter and energy other than those peculiar to living matter.
- pertaining to the physical sciences, especially physics.
- carnal; sexual: a physical attraction.
- tending to touch, hug, pat, etc.; physically demonstrative: a physical person.
- requiring, characterized by, or liking rough physical contact or strenuous physical activity: Football is a physical sport.
Origin of physical
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Wordsaerial, airy, bodiless, celestial, disembodied, dreamy, ethereal, ghostly, heavenly, impalpable, imponderable, incorporate, incorporeal, insensible, insubstantial, intangible, metaphysical, psychic, shadowy, spectral
- not of or relating to the body or nature
- not sexual; platonicintimate nonphysical friendships
- of or relating to the body, as distinguished from the mind or spirit
- of, relating to, or resembling material things or naturethe physical universe
- involving or requiring bodily contactrugby is a physical sport
- of or concerned with matter and energy
- of or relating to physics
- perceptible to the senses; apparenta physical manifestation
- short for physical examination
Word Origin and History for nonphysical
early 15c., "of or pertaining to material nature" (in medicine, opposed to surgical), from Medieval Latin physicalis "of nature, natural," from Latin physica "study of nature" (see physic). Meaning "pertaining to matter" is from 1590s; meaning "having to do with the body, corporeal" is attested from 1780. Meaning "characterized by bodily attributes or activities" is attested from 1970. Physical education first recorded 1838; abbreviated form phys ed is from 1955. Physical therapy is from 1922. Related: Physically.
"a physical examination," by 1934, from physical (adj.).
- Of or relating to the body as distinguished from the mind or spirit.
- Involving or characterized by vigorous bodily activity.
- Of or relating to material things.
- Of or relating to matter and energy or the sciences dealing with them, especially physics.
- A physical examination.
Idioms and Phrases with nonphysical
see get physical.