- not a member of or trained in a specific profession.
- Sports. not offering or engaged in for payment or a monetary prize; amateur: a nonprofessional league; a nonprofessional player.
- a person who is not a professional.
- an amateur athlete.
Origin of nonprofessional
Related Words for nonprofessionalamateur, lay, dilettantish, dabbler, dilettante, laic, laity, layman, tyro, laywoman
Examples from the Web for nonprofessional
Historical Examples of nonprofessional
For the ulceration it is useless to prescribe, because it can neither be diagnosed nor topically treated by the nonprofessional.
Another and oftentimes fatal mistake made by the nonprofessional is the indiscriminate and reckless use of aconite.
There was nothing more he could do at the moment—the autosurgeon's decisions were safer than any nonprofessional's guesswork.The Winds of Time
James H. Schmitz
It is more vividly brought home to us from the nonprofessional, the disinterested and involuntary testimony of secular writing.Preaching and Paganism
Albert Parker Fitch
- not of, relating to, suitable for, or engaged in a profession
- not undertaken or performed for gain or by people who are paid