- the action or practice of curbing or controlling an excessive, rapid spread: nonproliferation of nuclear weapons.
- failure or refusal to proliferate, as in budding or cell division.
- pertaining to diplomatic agreements limiting the spread of nuclear weapons.
Origin of nonproliferation
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for nonproliferation
Doyle said he is not certain where he will end up, though he plans to continue to work on nonproliferation and disarmament issues.Fired From Los Alamos for Pushing Obama's Nuclear Agenda
Center for Public Integrity
July 31, 2014
The Cirincione estimate also includes spending for missile defense, environmental cleanup, and nonproliferation programs.Ploughshares Fund Uses Its Millions to Sway Arms Control Debate
December 13, 2011
This latter agreement--the nonproliferation treaty--is now pending in the Senate and it has been pending there since last July.
- limitation of the production or spread of something, esp nuclear or chemical weapons
- (as modifier)a nonproliferation treaty
- failure or refusal to proliferate