See more synonyms for teaching on Thesaurus.com
- the act or profession of a person who teaches.
- something that is taught.
- Often teachings. doctrines or precepts: the teachings of Lao-tzu.
Origin of teaching
Related formsnon·teach·ing, adjectiveself-teach·ing, adjective
First recorded in 1125–75, teaching
is from the Middle English
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
British Dictionary definitions for nonteaching
- of or relating to a post within an academic or vocational environment that does not entail teaching
- the art or profession of a teacher
- (sometimes plural) something taught; precept
- (modifier) denoting a person or institution that teachesa teaching hospital
- (modifier) used in teachingteaching aids
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012