- moving, directed, or situated toward the north.
- (especially of a wind) coming from the north: a northerly gale.
- toward the north.
- from the north.
- a wind that blows from the north.
Origin of northerly
Examples from the Web for northerly
Historical Examples of northerly
First they took a northerly course, then they returned toward Sedan.The Downfall
Shandon looked in a northerly direction, and shuddered in spite of himself.The English at the North Pole
A trunk of a tree, about 50 feet long, lay on the beach; from whence I conclude a heavy sea runs in here with the northerly winds.
At the northerly angle was the junction of the Conemaugh and Stony creeks.The Johnstown Horror
James Herbert Walker
Ecbatane was the most northerly of these cities, and the most remote from danger.Darius the Great
- of, relating to, or situated in the north
- towards or in the direction of the north
- from the northa northerly wind
- a wind from the north