[nawrth-luh nd, -land]
- the land or region in the north.
- the northern part of a country.
- (initial capital letter) the peninsula containing Norway and Sweden.
Origin of northland
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for northlander
He greeted the arrival with the easy casualness of the northlander.The Triumph of John Kars
As a Northlander I cannot accustom myself to the French mode of acting tragedy.The True Story of My Life
Hans Christian Andersen
The Northlander's heavy, slow-moving feet stopped entirely as he turned a stolid face toward the foreman.
He glanced quickly at the big Englishman and saw that his eyes were upon the Northlander.
- a native or inhabitant of the peninsula containing Norway and Sweden
- (in Canada) a native or inhabitant of the far north
- the peninsula containing Norway and Sweden
- (in Canada) the far north
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012