- the state of being nothing.
- something that is nonexistent: a view of humanity as suspended between infinity and nothingness.
- lack of being; nonexistence: The sound faded into nothingness.
- unconsciousness or death: She remembered a dizzy feeling, then nothingness.
- utter insignificance, emptiness, or worthlessness; triviality: The days followed one another in an endless procession of nothingness.
- something insignificant or without value.
Origin of nothingness
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for nothingness
This book seeks to fill that void (although arguably atheist kids should get used to nothingness sooner rather than later).Are You There, Nobody? It’s Me, Margaret
October 12, 2014
I do not like this sense of God, this nothingness in which I now dwell.How Losing My Daughter Changed My Faith
June 15, 2014
“Attach Form(s) W-2” would be an exercise in the stapling of nothingness.Up to a Point: I Do My Own Taxes With No Help, Except From a Couple of Bloody Marys
P. J. O’Rourke
April 15, 2014
Athletes are also carefully trained in the Zen of nothingness.Pro Sports’ Hero Deficit
July 6, 2011
He will pass to the dark realm of nothingness, but will not find me there.Monsieur du Muroir (From "Mosses From An Old Manse")
But the new voice was stilled into nothingness by the shrill, reawakening falsetto.Thoroughbreds
W. A. Fraser
Afterwards all these impressions blended into one nothingness.Master and Man
On the other side this life is a nothingness so large that you will be as nothing in it.The First Violin
What a consciousness of his own nothingness, and of his sins!The Memoirs of Louis XIV., His Court and The Regency, Complete
Duc de Saint-Simon
- the state or condition of being nothing; nonexistence
- absence of consciousness or life
- complete insignificance or worthlessness
- something that is worthless or insignificant
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for nothingness
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper