- a member of any of the various peoples inhabiting Nubia.
- the Nilo-Saharan language of the Nubians.
- a Nubian or black slave.
- a Nubian horse.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of Nubia, its people, or their language.
Origin of Nubian
Examples from the Web for nubian
Historical Examples of nubian
"Thirty," she repeated to the Nubian, without a glance in the white man's direction.
Somehow the whip-snap of authority in his voice reached the Nubian's consciousness.
The Nubian silently indicated two of the three hung on his person.
The Nubian, taken completely by surprise, began to chatter with fright.
The Nubian and the white woman stared at each other for a moment.
- a native or inhabitant of Nubia, an ancient region of NE Africa
- the language spoken by the people of Nubia
- of or relating to Nubia or its inhabitants
- informal of or relating to Black culture
Word Origin and History for nubian
c.1400 (n.), c.1730 (adj.), from Medieval Latin Nubianus, from Nubia (see Nubia).