[verb noo-muh-reyt, nyoo-; adjective noo-mer-it, nyoo-]
- to represent numbers by symbols.
- enumerate(def 2).
- able to use or understand numerical techniques of mathematics.
Origin of numerate
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the ability to use numbers, esp in arithmetical operations
- able to use numbers, esp in arithmetical operationsCompare literate
- to read (a numerical expression)
- a less common word for enumerate
Word Origin for numerate
C18 (vb): from Latin numerus number + -ate 1, by analogy with literate
1721, "to count," from Latin numeratus "counted out," past participle of numerare "to count, to number," from numerus "a number" (see number). Related: Numerated; numerating.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper