- serving to nourish; providing nutriment; nutritious.
- of, relating to, or concerned with nutrition: foods with high nutritive value.
- an item of nourishing food: a breakfast of cereals, fruits, and other nutritives.
Origin of nutritive
Related Words for nutritivealimentary, balanced, beneficial, good, healthful, invigorating, nourishing, nutrient, nutritious, salubrious, salutary, wholesome, alimentative, nutrimental, nutritional, strengthening
Examples from the Web for nutritive
Historical Examples of nutritive
They knew the nutritive value of liver, proven by many formulæ.
Often in serums the poison elements are retained, but not the nutritive.The Goat-gland Transplantation
Sydney B. Flower
First, then, we will consider the nutritive properties of the common food-stuffs.No Animal Food
Rupert H. Wheldon
To what extent may nuts contribute to the nutritive value of a ration?
Give the general composition and nutritive value of asparagus.
- providing nourishment
- of, concerning, or promoting nutrition
- a nutritious food
late 14c., from Old French nutritif and directly from Medieval Latin nutritivus "nourishing," from past participle stem of Latin nutrire "to nourish" (see nourish).
- Of or relating to nutrition.
- Nutritious; nourishing.