[oh lev-uh l]
- a public examination for secondary-school students, usually 15 to 16 years old, testing basic knowledge in various subjects, required before advancing to more specialized courses of study.
- a pass in this examination.
Compare A level.
Origin of O level
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the basic level of the General Certificate of Education, now replaced by GCSE
- (as modifier)O level maths
- a pass in a particular subject at O levelhe has eight O levels
Systematic name: Ordinary level
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012