[ awr-lok, ohr- ]
/ ˈɔrˌlɒk, ˈoʊr- /


any of various devices providing a pivot for an oar in rowing, especially a swiveling, crutchlike or ringlike metal device projecting above a gunwale.

Words nearby oarlock

Origin of oarlock

before 1100; Middle English orlok, Old English ārloc. See oar, lock1
Also called rowlock.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019

Examples from the Web for oarlock

British Dictionary definitions for oarlock

/ (ˈɔːˌlɒk) /


US and Canadian a swivelling device attached to the gunwale of a boat that holds an oar in place and acts as a fulcrum during rowingAlso called: rowlock
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012