- to come into possession of; get, acquire, or procure, as through an effort or by a request: to obtain permission; to obtain a better income.
- Obsolete. to attain or reach.
- to be prevalent, customary, or in vogue; prevail: the morals that obtained in Rome.
- Archaic. to succeed.
Origin of obtain
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for obtained
They obtained a gag order against the defendant and his lawyers restricting what they could say about the case for several months.Sentencing Looms for Barrett Brown, Advocate for “Anonymous”
Kevin M. Gallagher
December 15, 2014
“Edwin Morris Kocurek is a hard-working and loyal employee,” said his first evaluation, obtained through an open-records request.Two Texas Regulators Tried to Enforce the Rules. They Were Fired.
David Hasemyer, InsideClimate News
December 9, 2014
I eventually left the West Bank for Jordan with a visa I obtained from the French embassy.What It’s Like to Be an Atheist in Palestine
Waleed al-Husseini, Movements.Org
December 8, 2014
A transcript and an audio recording of his remarks were obtained by The Daily Beast.Pro-Palestinian Group Lectured On Skirting Terror Laws
December 5, 2014
That could change, however, if ISIS obtained the knowledge to build hard-to-detect bombs.U.S. Clams Up on Xmas Airline Bomb ‘Plot’
December 2, 2014
He has obtained from his son a solemn promise never to speak to me of marriage.Philothea
Lydia Maria Child
There obtained just sufficient water for ourselves and the horses.Explorations in Australia
The main question is as to the source from which an increase of life is to be obtained.The Conquest of Fear
From this piece are obtained the most desirable chops and roasts.Woman's Institute Library of Cookery, Vol. 3
Woman's Institute of Domestic Arts and Sciences
The cathode is preferably formed of the same metal which is to be obtained.
- (tr) to gain possession of; acquire; get
- (intr) to be customary, valid, or accepteda new law obtains in this case
- (tr) archaic to arrive at
- (intr) archaic to win a victory; succeed