- a process in which a lithographic stone or metal or paper plate is used to make an inked impression on a rubber blanket that transfers it to the paper being printed, instead of being made directly on the paper.
- the impression itself.
- (in faults) the magnitude of displacement between two previously aligned bodies.
- a spur of a mountain range.
- a short distance measured perpendicularly from a main survey line.
- Also called offset line . a line a short distance from and parallel to a main survey line.
- to make an offset of.
- to print by the process of offset lithography.
Origin of offset
How to use offset in a sentence
Using standard methods, the cost of printing DNA could run upwards of a billion dollars or more, depending on the strand.
Consumers are also gaining the ability to take the designs into their own hands as 3D printing becomes more accessible.
For as much as Walter was a maniac, he was at the forefront of printing art.Tim Burton Talks ‘Big Eyes,’ His Taste For the Macabre, and the ‘Beetlejuice’ Sequel|Marlow Stern|December 17, 2014|DAILY BEAST
With 3D printing you can continue to use the file and update.
The entire process of preplanning and printing the hand, brackets, and cuffs takes just over a day.
Edwin Clayhanger invited me to go over the printing-works at half-past six, and it's twenty-five minutes to seven now.
They ran side by side across the yard to a roofed flight of steps that led to the printing-office.
Two days later he walked into the office of the printing firm with which he had been in correspondence.The Homesteader|Oscar Micheaux
The designs of Russia have long been proverbial; but the exercise of the new art of printing may assign them new features.
This book occasioned some prelates to say that they must root out printing or printing would root out them.The Every Day Book of History and Chronology|Joel Munsell
British Dictionary definitions for offset
- a printing method in which the impression is made onto an intermediate surface, such as a rubber blanket, which transfers it to the paper
- (modifier) relating to, involving, or printed by offsetoffset letterpress; offset lithography
- a short runner in certain plants, such as the houseleek, that produces roots and shoots at the tip
- a plant produced from such a runner