- the art or technique of painting with oil colors.
- a painting executed in oil colors.
Origin of oil painting
First recorded in 1775–85
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for oil painting
I go in for oil-painting, for instance, and that is the despair of my family.Rene Mauperin
Edmond de Goncourt and Jules de Goncourt
This is the art of colouring a photograph so as to imitate an oil-painting.Little Folks
Lely was nearly as famous for crayon work as for oil-painting.
He assigned to her an elegant apartment, in which hung the only oil-painting of himself.The Mormon Prophet and His Harem
We were received in rooms with tables and chairs, and an oil-painting!A Journal from Japan
Marie Carmichael Stopes
- a picture painted with oil paints
- the art or process of painting with oil paints
- he's no oil painting informal he is not good-looking