[kuh n-sahyn-muh nt]
- of, relating to, or shipped as goods on consignment: consignment selling of gift items.
- on consignment, (of goods) sent to an agent for sale, with title being held by the consignor until a sale is made.
Origin of consignment
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the act of consigning; commitment
- a shipment of goods consigned
- on consignment for payment by the consignee after salehe made the last shipment on consignment
Word Origin and History for on consignment
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Idioms and Phrases with on consignment
Turning over goods for an agent to sell, with the provision that payment is made only on completed sales and that unsold goods may be returned to the consignor. For example, This secondhand shop accepts items of clothing on consignment. [c. 1700]
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.