verb (used with object), nosed, nos·ing.
verb (used without object), nosed, nos·ing.
- to defeat, especially by a narrow margin: The other candidates had been nosed out in the final returns.
- to learn or discover, especially by snooping or prying: to nose out a secret.
- to go forward in a straight course.
- to guide oneself by instinct: I found the house by following my nose.
- precisely, correctly, or perfectly.
- exactly on time: We made it at ten o'clock on the nose.
- (of a bet) for win only.
- Australian Informal. decayed or putrid; stinking.
- Australian Informal. distasteful or unpleasant; of doubtful validity or propriety.
- to annoy or irritate greatly.
- to supersede a person in another's regard, devotion, etc.
- to thwart someone; spoil someone's plans.
Origin of nose
Related formsnose·less, adjectivenose·like, adjectiveun·nosed, adjective
British Dictionary definitions for on the nose
- (in horse-race betting) to win onlyI bet twenty pounds on the nose on that horse
- mainly US and Canadian precisely; exactly
- Australian bad or bad-smelling
- to be short-sighted; suffer from myopia
- to lack insight or foresight
- directly in front of one
- without one noticing
Derived Formsnoseless, adjectivenoselike, adjective
Word Origin for nose
Medicine definitions for on the nose
Idioms and Phrases with on the nose (1 of 2)
on the nose
Exactly, precisely; especially, at the appointed time or estimated amount. For example, The busload of students arrived at the museum at ten o'clock right on the nose, or He guessed the final score on the nose. This term, like on the button, may come from boxing, where the opponent's nose is a highly desired target. [c. 1930]
Idioms and Phrases with on the nose (2 of 2)
In addition to the idioms beginning with nose
- nose about
- nose in
- nose in a book, have one's
- nose in the air, have one's
- nose into
- nose out
- nose out of joint, have one's
- nose to the grindstone, keep one's
- brown nose
- can't see beyond the end of one's nose
- count noses
- cut off one's nose
- follow one's nose
- keep one's nose clean
- lead by the nose
- look down on (one's nose)
- no skin off my nose
- on the nose
- pay through the nose
- plain as day (the nose on your face)
- poke one's nose into
- rub someone's nose in it
- thumb one's nose
- turn up one's nose
- under one's nose
- win by a nose