- arranged or disposed in a neat, tidy manner or in a regular sequence: an orderly desk.
- observant of or governed by system or method, as persons or the mind.
- characterized by or observant of law, rule, or discipline; well-behaved; law-abiding: an orderly assemblage of citizens.
- pertaining to or charged with the communication or execution of orders.
- methodically; regularly.
- according to established order or rule.
- Military. an enlisted soldier assigned to perform various chores for a commanding officer or group of officers.
- a hospital attendant having general, nonmedical duties.
Origin of orderly
Synonyms for orderlySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for orderly
Related Words for orderlieshelper, servant, assistant, aide, custodian, nurse, auxiliary, lackey, chaperon, understudy, domestic, follower, companion, orderly, usher, escort, guide, secretary, waitperson, neatness
Examples from the Web for orderlies
Historical Examples of orderlies
Orderlies were going about, carrying out linens, emptying pans.K
Mary Roberts Rinehart
Harris, coming up with the orderlies, found the old negro at his mare's bridle.The Long Roll
In the morning, one of the colonel's orderlies was told to fetch Lisle.Through Three Campaigns
G. A. Henty
There was straw on the stone floors and two surgeons and some orderlies.
Orderlies were not sent out at that hour of the morning unless the cause was pressing.Bamboo Tales
Ira L. Reeves
- in order, properly arranged, or tidy
- obeying or appreciating method, system, and arrangement
- harmonious or peaceful
- military of or relating to ordersan orderly book
- rare according to custom or rule
- med a male hospital attendant
- military a junior rank detailed to carry orders or perform minor tasks for a more senior officer
Word Origin and History for orderlies
"military attendant who carries orders," 1781, short for orderly corporal, etc. Extended 1809 to an attendant at a hospital (originally a military hospital) charged with keeping things in order and clean. See orderly (adj.).
- An attendant in a hospital.