- an ornamental band or border, especially on an ecclesiastical vestment.
- gold embroidery.
- rich embroidery of any sort.
- a piece of richly embroidered material.
Also or·fray [awr-frey, -free] /ˈɔr freɪ, -fri/.
Origin of orphrey
1300–50; Middle English orfreis (later construed as plural) < Old French < Medieval Latin aurifrisium, variant of aurifrigium, for Latin phrase aurum Phrygium gold embroidery, literally, Phrygian gold
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a less common spelling of orphrey
less commonly orfray
- a richly embroidered band or border, esp on an ecclesiastical vestment
C13 orfreis, from Old French, from Late Latin aurifrisium, auriphrygium, from Latin aurum gold + Phrygius Phrygian