- unduly demonstrative; lacking reserve: effusive greetings; an effusive person.
- pouring out; overflowing.
- Geology. extrusive(def 3).
Origin of effusive
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for over-effusive
Historical Examples of over-effusive
I felt under Mrs. Jackson's over-effusive greeting the effort it was for her to appear easy and cordial.The Fifth Wheel
Olive Higgins Prouty
- extravagantly demonstrative of emotion; gushing
- (of rock) formed by the solidification of magma
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for over-effusive
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper