- a value that identifies and is used to locate a particular element within a data array or table.
- a reference table that contains the keys or references needed to address data items.
- the part of a search engine where website addresses are cataloged with their associated keywords in order to quickly retrieve the most relevant web pages when a user submits a search query.
- an exponent.
- the integer n in a radical defining the n-th root: ∛ is a radical having index three.
- a subscript or superscript indicating the position of an object in a series of similar objects, as the subscripts 1, 2, and 3 in the series x1, x2, x3.
- winding number.
- a table of contents.
- a preface or prologue.
Origin of index
OTHER WORDS FROM index
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH indexappendix, index , supplement
How to use index in a sentence
They are always suspended over a precipice, dangling by a slender thread that shows every sign of snapping.How the PC Police Threaten Free Speech|Nick Gillespie|January 9, 2015|DAILY BEAST
And now, similarly, former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee: "Bend over and take it like a prisoner!"Huckabee 2016: Bend Over and Take It Like a Prisoner!|Olivia Nuzzi|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Perhaps on his own nowadays, Epstein is trying his best to webmaster over a dozen URLs.Sleazy Billionaire’s Double Life Featured Beach Parties With Stephen Hawking|M.L. Nestel|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
But yes, I pictured a James Bond-type just sauntering over to her.‘Archer’ Creator Adam Reed Spills Season 6 Secrets, From Surreal Plotlines to Life Post-ISIS|Marlow Stern|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
The debate over who really pulled off the Sony hack, then, could continue indefinitely.Was Sony Hit With a Second Hack?|Shane Harris|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
It is most peculiar, and when he plays that way, the most bewitching little expression comes over his face.Music-Study in Germany|Amy Fay
All over the world the just claims of organized labor are intermingled with the underground conspiracy of social revolution.The Unsolved Riddle of Social Justice|Stephen Leacock
After we had passed over this desert, we found several garisons to defend the caravans from the violence of the Tartars.
After relievedly giving the pistol to the nearest soldier, he stumbled quickly over to Brion and took his hand.Sense of Obligation|Henry Maxwell Dempsey (AKA Harry Harrison)
Solely over one man therein thou hast quite absolute control.Pearls of Thought|Maturin M. Ballou
British Dictionary definitions for index
- another name for exponent (def. 4)
- a number or variable placed as a superscript to the left of a radical sign indicating by its value the root to be extracted, as in ³√8 = 2
- a subscript or superscript to the right of a variable to express a set of variables, as in using x i for x 1, x 2, x 3, etc
Derived forms of indexindexer, nounindexless, adjective
Word Origin for index
Cultural definitions for index
An alphabetical list of subjects treated in a book. It usually appears at the end of the book and identifies page numbers on which information about each subject appears.