Origin of cultivation
SynonymsSee more synonyms for cultivation on Thesaurus.com
- the planting, tending, improving, or harvesting of crops or plants
- the preparation of ground to promote their growth
- development, esp through education, training, etc
- culture or sophistication, esp social refinement
Word Origin and History for overcultivation
c.1700, of knowledge, etc., a figurative use, from French cultivation (16c.), noun of action from cultiver, from Latin cultivare "to till" (see cultivate). Meaning "raising of a plant or crop" is from 1719; literal sense of "tilling of the land" is from 1725.
- The process of promoting the growth of a biological culture.