- of or causing the stimulation of the involuntary muscle of the uterus.
- promoting or accelerating childbirth.
- an oxytocic substance or drug.
Origin of oxytocic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- accelerating childbirth by stimulating uterine contractions
- an oxytocic drug or agent
Word Origin for oxytocic
C19: from Greek, from oxy- 1 + tokos childbirth
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Hastening or facilitating childbirth, especially by stimulating contractions of the uterus. Used of a drug.
- An oxytocic drug.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.