Definition for paneling (2 of 2)
- a list of persons summoned for service as jurors.
- the body of persons composing a jury.
- (in Scotland) the person or persons arraigned for trial.
- a flat piece of wood of varying kinds on which a picture is painted.
- a picture painted on such a piece of wood.
- the space on the chord of a truss between any two adjacent joints made by principal web members with the chord.
- the space within the web of a truss between any two such joints and a corresponding pair of joints or a single joint on an opposite chord.
verb (used with object), pan·eled, pan·el·ing or (especially British) pan·elled, pan·el·ling.
Origin of panel
Related formsre·pan·el, verb (used with object), re·pan·eled, re·pan·el·ing or (especially British) re·pan·elled, re·pan·el·ling.sub·pan·el, nounun·pan·eled, adjectiveun·pan·elled, adjective
Examples from the Web for paneling
After pulling over the car, the paneling of which was packed with drugs of all kinds, the cops tow it to the station.
In taking a "secret" cupboard out of a closet, there was discovered some paneling that had been plastered and papered over.
At the right of it is a china closet with mullioned glass door, and on the left two narrower closets are found in the paneling.
There are similar scroll-pattern stair ends and paneling under the stairs.The Colonial Architecture of Philadelphia|Frank Cousins
No sculptures or inscribed slabs, the paneling of the walls of palaces, appear to exist beneath them, as in those of Nineveh.Museum of Antiquity|L. W. Yaggy
In the sacristy, too, and the robing room, there were screens and paneling with richly detailed carvings.The Spell of the Hawaiian Islands and the Philippines|Isabel Anderson
British Dictionary definitions for paneling
- a group of persons selected to act as a team in a quiz, to judge a contest, to discuss a topic before an audience, etc
- (as modifier)a panel game
- a list of persons summoned for jury service
- the persons on a specific jury
- a thin board used as a surface or backing for an oil painting
- a painting done on such a surface
- a list of patients insured under the National Health Insurance Scheme
- a list of medical practitioners within a given area available for consultation by these patients
verb -els, -elling or -elled or US -els, -eling or -eled (tr)
- to empanel (a jury)
- (in Scotland) to bring (a person) to trial; indict