- Informal. a weak, effeminate man; sissy.
- formerly, a child's undergarment consisting of short pants and a shirt that buttoned together at the waist.
- weak; fainthearted.
- Informal. childish.
Origin of pantywaist
SynonymsSee more synonyms for pantywaist on Thesaurus.com
1. weakling, milksop, namby-pamby.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for pantywaist
Drop over to our camp sometime for a little drink, and a little game, eh, pantywaist?Asteroid of Fear
Raymond Zinke Gallun
- a child's undergarment consisting of a shirt and pants buttoned together at the waist
- US informal a man or boy considered as childish, lacking in courage, etc
C20: from panties + waist
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for pantywaist
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper