- of or relating to Paphos, an ancient city of Cyprus sacred to Aphrodite.
- of or relating to love, especially illicit sexual love; erotic; wanton.
- noting or pertaining to Aphrodite or to her worship or service.
- the Paphian, Aphrodite: so called from her cult center at Paphos.
- (often lowercase) a prostitute.
Origin of Paphian
Examples from the Web for paphian
Historical Examples of paphian
He will swear you are not only wiser than Minerva, but fairer than the Paphian queen!Munster Village
A small model of a temple is peculiarly Phnician, like that repeated upon Paphian coins.History of Ancient Art
Franz von Reber
Would you worship the Paphian goddess, the groves of Cyprus are not more taciturn than those of the Temple.The Warden
Another daughter of the Paphian divinity presides at the shrine of rouge et noir.The Little Lady of Lagunitas
Richard Henry Savage
The performances at the Paphian Hall on that festive occasion need not be described here with accuracy.Marion Fay
- of or relating to Paphos
- of or relating to Aphrodite
- literary of sexual love