- of or relating to Easter.
- of or relating to Passover.
- a paschal candle or candlestick.
Origin of paschal
- died a.d. 824, pope 817–824.
- Ranieri, died 1118, Italian ecclesiastic: pope 1099–1118.
- of or relating to Passover
- of or relating to Easter
early 15c., "of or pertaining to Easter," from Old French paschal (12c.) and directly from Late Latin paschalis, from pascha "Passover, Easter," from Greek pascha "Passover," from Aramaic pasha "pass over," corresponding to Hebrew pesah, from pasah "he passed over." (cf. Passover). Pasche was an early Middle English term for "Easter" (see Easter).