- soil, gravel, or ore that can be mined profitably.
- Informal. any source of success or wealth; a fortunate discovery or profitable venture: After months of experimentation, the scientists finally hit pay dirt.
- Football. end zone(def 1).
Origin of pay dirt
An Americanism dating back to 1855–60
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a deposit rich enough in minerals to be worth mining
- strike pay dirt or hit pay dirt informal to achieve one's objective
Word Origin and History for paydirt
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper