- a list of employees to be paid, with the amount due to each.
- the sum total of these amounts.
- the actual money on hand for distribution: The bandits got away with the payroll.
- the total number of people employed by a business firm or organization.
- to fund or subsidize: to be payrolled by the State Department.
Origin of payroll
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a list of employees, specifying the salary or wage of each
- the total of these amounts or the actual money equivalent
- (as modifier)a payroll tax
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for payrolled
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper